Homemade Tomato Sauce
This takes a looooong time to make, but it definitely worth the effort.
Servings: 100 servings (at least)
- 900 g tomatoes
- 225 g shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cm fresh root ginger
- 150 ml cider vinegar
- 40 g soft brown sugar any kind of sugar will work well
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, shallots, ginger, and garlic.
- Make the pieces fairly small so it cook quicker.
- Place the chopped vegetables into a pot and slowly bring to the boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes, remembering to stir frequently.
- When the shallots are tender spoon mixture into a sieve, push it through using the back of a spoon.
- OR you could save an hour and use a blender!
- Put blended puree back into the pan, return to a boil then simmer and stir for 45 mins or until it's reduced by half.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, sal and paprika to the pot, stir and simmer for another 45min.
- At the end of the last simmering session it should be thicker than when you started. It will thicken more as it cools down.
- Move to a suitable container and use within 2 months.
- Store it in the fridge.