I have totally robbed this recipe from my friend, Sam Mac. 2 reasons for this:1. It's a burrito2. It's a burrito for breakfast.This recipe looks a lot more complicated than it actually is. It’s one of my faves, and it comes together in just a few minutes.It’s even quicker to prepare if you pre-chop your veggies on the weekend.Have any of you tried frozen avocado yet? It’s definitely worth checking out. The night before you make this, I recommend taking your avocado out of the freezer, wrapping it in cling wrap so it doesn’t brown, and putting it in the fridge to thaw.Adding a side dish of a half-cup of berries is an optional healthy boost.
Servings: 2 Burritos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 75 g diced onion
- .5 red or yellow pepper seeded and diced
- 30 g black beans drained and rinsed
- sprinkle of chilli flakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 25 g goats milk cheese diced
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 75 g tomatoes diced
- .5 avocado diced
Your choice of burrito wrapper: gluten-free tortilla or large lettuce/collard leaves
Your favourite hot sauce
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and peppers until soften and slightly caramelised.
- Add beans and pepper flakes and cook until warmed through, 3-4 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, in a medium bowl whisk the eggs and egg whites, and then add the cheese.
- When the veggies are heated through, transfer to a dish and if necessary, spray the pan with non-stick spray. Pour in the eggs and scramble, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To serve, spread each tortilla or lettuce leaf with some salsa, and then layer each with half of the black bean mixture, half the eggs, and half the tomato and avocado. Season with hot sauce. Roll up your tortilla or lettuce leaf like a burrito and enjoy!